Monday, April 11, 2022

Mother of the Pide

A decade ago, my first encounter with Turkish pide (a kind of half-folded pizza or calzone) at Pizza Pide was a great one. I did return one other time, but it wasn't really convenient to visit the Gerrard Square area from the West End. Since then, I've tried other places but they were all forgettable.

Since my current sublet was a short walk away, I re-visited this spot on Saturday night. I would have come by sooner but it always looked closed. I was apprehensive because given the other mediocre places, perhaps it wasn't as good here either and my memory has fooled me. Secondly, I was pretty sure that the restaurant had changed hands. Now there were 2 women (or a mother/daughter pair) behind the counter instead of a middle-aged man. These small spots don't usually have other staff besides the owner. Do they have the same touch?

When I got my spinach and feta pide home ($14.60), all my worries vanished. This was a delicious dinner: crispy, fragrant, packed with flavour. I appreciated all the extra sides like pickled chilis, parsley, and raw onions. They made for a nice crunch and palate cleanser between bites. The price has basically increased by 50% but with a decade of inflation, what can you do? I have turned into an old grouch who can't believe how much things cost nowadays.

No comments: