Friday, April 15, 2022

Crunch Lunch

It was a dreary Thursday morning as I was doing remote work in the apartment. But I wanted to stretch my legs. The owner of my sublet had also wanted me to mail them any important letters half-way through my stay. After a few minutes outside, the sun came blazing out behind the clouds. It stayed clear and warm for the rest of the afternoon.

I made my way south through the streets bordering Little India to the Greenwood and Queen St. area. There were a few shops but it was mostly dominated by a TTC streetcar maintenance facility and a historical Quaker estate. I first came here a decade ago for some pizza. I was last here about 5 years ago for some food and music. But I couldn't tell if that Gallery/Studio was still opened.

I stepped inside Maru Japanese Bistro next to the pizzeria. It opened about 8 months ago and inherited a bright, airy space from the previous tenant despite being partially below ground. Maru offered sushi and seafood dishes with a Western flair from the Cordon Blue-trained owner/chef. So for my first time, I wanted to try something different. As such, I settled on the Ebi Katsu Burger ($20). The dish name said it all, it was a panko-breaded and lightly fried shrimp patty on brioche buns. The whole thing was thick and toothsome. It was nice but needed some aioli or other sauce to put the burger over the top. The potato waffle fries was outstanding. Thin, crispy, and lightly coated with some grated parmesan, this was Pringle chips after finishing school. I have only a few weeks left in my stay, but I hope to return for another meal.

As for the mail, it was good I didn't drop off the pre-paid manila folder in the mailbox on Gerrard. When I got the package weighed at the Post Office at Queen and Carlaw, it was short 50 cents. I paid for the extra shipping charge and made my way home to wrap up the workday.

No comments: