Sunday, April 17, 2022

The Northern Pike

On Saturday, I went to Tea - N - Bannock on Gerrard. This Indigenous restaurant promised a modern take on traditional food ("where the past meet the present"). I looked over the menu but settled on the pickerel dinner ($21) because one, I don't often eat freshwater fish, and two, it was the day's special so there was a $4 discount.

I wasn't sure if it was only for show but my table was held up by a single tree branch anchored to the floor. The restaurant had numerous decoration including elk horns, Native cradleboard (tikinagan), and a large mural of a peaceful lake view. The entrée came with pan-fried fish and tartar sauce. It was good but to be honest, all fish taste the same once fried. The sides included coleslaw, buttery mashed potatoes and my favourite, sautéed wild rice with mushrooms, onions, and other veggies. The rice had a chewiness that reminded me of barley or quinoa. The bannock was fresh and hot, perfect for slathering on some butter.

The only negative was that I was charged twice for my meal. The machine was out of paper so after that was fixed, it seemed as if my credit card tap didn't go through. So we went through it all a second time. I suspected there was likely an error and checked online when I got home. I saw 2 payments listed in my account. I went back and the owner issued me a credit refund. But as of this writing, the charge-back hasn't appeared on my statement.

22/04/2022: The extra charge was removed from my credit card bill. So everything worked out fine.

No comments: