Tuesday, April 5, 2022

All Things Together

Given my love of public laundromats, I had to see a movie about a Chinese-American woman running a laundromat. On Saturday, I headed to a downtown cinema to see Everything Everywhere All At Once. Once again, though I had planned for a 1-hour trip (plenty of time, I thought), the Greenwood bus part of the commute was so slow that I arrived as the lights went down. I also had accidentally sat in a wet seat. So I spent the trip wondering what my jeans was now damp with?! For the rest of this sublet, I'm going to avoid taking this bus.

This movie was fun, funny, and fantastical. Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh) was an immigrant with failed dreams, struggling with work and family life. In the movie, she finally had the opportunity to experience adventures since she was called on to access the skills and memories of her alternate selves to save the multiverse. In real-life, the feeling that failed choices has left a person at a dead-end is a familiar one.

After the show, I walked through several downtown neighbourhood to arrive at Kensington Market. A Peruvian Sushi take-out called Fussion Sushi has opened on Baldwin Street (despite the fact that the owners live in Milton). With Japanese immigrants in the 19th century, there have always been Peruvian-style Japanese food. With the advice of the cashier, I opted for the most "iconic" of the menu choices. It turns out the AVC ($15) was fried shrimp, avocado, and lemon mayonnaise.

This tasted like the typical "new" sushi found in various restaurants over the last 20 years. But it was interesting that what was lumped in with Asian Fusion has been actually part of the Peruvian food culture all this time. However, this moniker has a poor reputation (because of the numerous failed attempts). So it's unfortunate that the business has chosen to represent themselves as "fusion food".

No comments: