Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Red-Hot Chili Pepper

Tuesday evening, the sky hinted at rain so I quickly headed to Little India in search of a quick dinner. I stepped inside Hakka Flame since it has been a while since I've eaten Chinese-Indian food. My favourite was Wang's Kitchen in Mississauga near my old work-place for its Honey Crispy Lamb dish. There was no such item on the menu though this spot had a larger variety of Chinese regions.

I picked some veggie dishes: Szechuan paneer pakora ($2.00) and Gobi Machurian (dry) entrée ($13.99). I chose medium for the spice level but both had quite the kick so prepare to dial down your heat scale. The pakora was quite interesting with a paneer (cheese) stuffing. Usually it's fried batter and onions. The Gobi was also tasty with a fried chewiness that melted in your mouth. I couldn't tell what the pieces were even though they had a tofu-like texture. After talking to the chef, it turned out they were marinated cauliflower.

This place had some dishes worth going back for though you have to be careful with the spiciness. I noticed that the receipt was for a Chickooos Peri Peri Flame which was briefly active in Waterloo. I guess the owner has left that town for the bright lights of Toronto. However, that could mean they know their way around chicken.

No comments: