Monday, April 25, 2022

Dreading the Boards

Toronto's iconic Massey Hall underwent a massive renovation 3 years ago. That was a bit of "serendipity" because over the last 2 years of the pandemic, venues were closed anyway. During the final stages, they were offering seat dedications to non-corporate financial donors. I couldn't cough up the bucks to get one on the main level, but I did snag a seat up in the galleries to honour my family.

On Sunday, management invited us supporters to visit and check out our seats as well as the new changes and restorations including hundred-year-old stained-glass windows. I also wanted to explore the backstage and walked out on the main stage. I did arrive early but hung around Dundas Square and The Eaton Centre. When I finally made my way there at exactly 1:30 p.m., I wasn't too surprised that there was a line-up at the venue's doors.

However, when I realized that it went not just around the corner but continued on for blocks, I was flabbergasted. I crossed to the other side and stared at the crowd for a bit. I talked to a couple near me and we agreed that neither of us have even been to a real concert with this level of demand. How were they going to fit everyone into the 2-hour window of the event, especially since people will be spending time exploring the space? I remembered that the original invite (before the 5th wave shutdown) spanned several days with different time slots. I guess the organizers felt that cramming everyone in for 1 afternoon was sufficient.

I wasn't going to stick around since I've been a previous victim of a slow-moving line. They were staying since they had booked the entire afternoon off. Maybe you only had to make it inside by 3:30 because the venue itself would remain open? I wished them luck and walked north on Yonge to catch the streetcar home. I enjoyed the towering new complexes (so big city) but also missed all the eclectic businesses and buildings that have closed. The World Food Market, a small outdoor market, at Yonge and Gould had a bit of that old vibe but it was still felt ersatz.

No comments: