Friday, April 29, 2022

Dosa Method

I visited New Town diner partly because numerous Indian restaurants were closed on Tuesday. So Thursday evening, I went looking for a South Asian dining spot. Since it was partly below ground, I didn't realize how large Udupi Palace was until I stepped inside. It was nearly as big as fancy Nirvana in Mississauga but more utilitarian in furnishings.

Looking over the menu, I opted for the spring dosa ($11.75). I chose it because unlike the usual stuffing of potatoes and onions, this one promised a medley of vegetables. It came out pre-sliced into thirds with sambar and coconut chutney. Udupi was better than South Idian Dosa Mahal but not as good as Madras Masala. Mostly it lacked that crispy crunch of an excellent dosa. I did enjoy the mix of potatoes, cabbage, peas, tomatoes, and onions. Like other restaurants in Little India, Udupi doesn't stint on the spice. So you'll want to adjust your expectation and ask for a lower heat level than your go-to choice.

No comments: