Saturday, April 23, 2022

Toy Stories

Since Riverdale on Gerrard St. doesn't really have many (cheap) lunch options, I decided on Friday that I would head over to the Bloordale/Bloorcourt area and buy an entire week's worth of meals. Transit took around 5 minutes to arrive, which would be wonderful in Ottawa. But in Toronto that was slow enough that I changed my mind. So I walked south on Jones to Queen St to look for a dining spot. Most places weren't open at noon (the perils of gentrified restos) and hip spots like Pasaj were full up. I thought about Ok Ok Diner but by the time I turned around, it was also at capacity.

So I headed back to Gerrard St to Pizza Pide. In any case, I wanted to eat here regularly before another decade passed. On the way I passed by The Doll House, a home on Bertmount whose front yard is covered with dolls and toys. This was similar to the Wood Cake House I saw in the West End but the back-story wasn't as sad. Amazingly, I think these would still sell for over $1M nowadays.

It wasn't the only head-scratching property in the neighbourhood. As I walked through the side-streets of the houses that had their backs to Dundas St., one home at Marjory and Dagmar was distinctly trapezoidal: bigger on top with a slanted brick patterns.

Instead of taking home my pide, I ate it at the restaurant. I was rewarded with the largest "charcuterie board" ever placed in front of me.

No comments: