Thursday, April 14, 2022

Elseworld

Wednesday night, I headed over to Massey Hall for a concert of Japanese taiko drums. The rain didn't bother me because I was aboard the streetcar which dropped me off at a subway station. One benefit of big city transit. But when I got off at the Queen St. stop, I didn't see anyone else outside the venue except for one other person. We exchanged puzzled looks before they told me that the ticket was actually for 2023. I rechecked my phone and dang it!

I partly got this sublet because I had postponed shows from as far back as 2020. I still have some left but I didn't want to buy more tickets for future dates because I'm making fewer visits to Toronto. In any case, back in Ottawa, I would have regretted this unnecessary commute. But with a more convenient transit system, I could walk around a bit (including checking out Farm Boy, an Ottawa grocery chain that was making inroads in the GTA) before heading back.

On the return trip, I reflected that over the past few weeks, Riverdale feels like my neighbourhood now: walking around, doing groceries, and visiting various restaurants. Earlier in the day, I straightened out a couple who weren't quite sure where they were. I also visited a local grocer to see if the specialty mangos from India have arrived yet.

In another life, I might have lived like this. Not this exact East-End area because the work commute to Mississauga would have been brutal. But buying a modest home, living on one floor, and renting out the rest. It would have saved everyone money including the renters. With a small mortgage, I'd have no need to raise rent.

I would also have furnished my place with many knick-knacks and mementos. With my previous rentals, I never wanted the hassle of packing up dozens of boxes in case of eviction or relocation. So I never bothered keeping much stuff. My "Sliding Doors" musings ended as I stepped off the streetcar and headed on home.

No comments: