Saturday, December 16, 2023

Bho Knows Cooking

After attending Raw Taiko, I took the streetcar to Broadview and Gerrard. Onyx Chocolate made iridescent bonbon and chocolate bars. They had a range of flavours including Asian inspiration like Gochujang, Mochi, and even pork floss. I tend to avoid gentrified businesses but the previous proprietor, Rose's Vietnamese Sandwich, had retired. Given the tiny space, it was unlikely that any other Asian business would move in.

I got a Durian chocolate bar ($14.75) for my mom, a small 4-piece box ($13.50) for my grandmother, and a 16-piece ($48) as a Christmas gift. But since the bonbons only keep for 2 weeks (4 if sealed airtight and stored in a fridge), I'll have to give them right away.

After I dropped off the package at my rental, I walked a few blocks east of Coxwell to Bhojan Ghar. This new South Asian restaurant had recently opened and was offering a 15% discount. As the owners were Nepalese, there were tranquil photos from their homeland framed on the wall. The dishes were mostly Indian but there were some Nepali dishes such as momos and a noodle soup called thukpa. I opted for vegetarian Dal Bhat ($16), naan ($3.25), and masala chai ($2.50).

My Nepali thali combo was delicious: tender chickpeas (chana), soft lentils (dal), fragrant cauliflower and potatoes curry (aloo gobi), steamed greens, and crunchy radish pickle. There was also a generous amount of basmati rice. The naan was a stand-out and better than most Indian restaurants. It came very close to matching the best naan (IMO) in the city.

There were numerous pick-up orders during my dinner. I didn't know if it was just to take advantage of the discount but this neighbourhood gem deserve continuing support. Even the picky eater a few tables over told their companion that the tandoori platter was a 10 out of 10. Though I enjoyed Karma's Kitchen, Bhojan was the better Nepalese place and one of the best South Asian restaurant in the East End.

I tip the recommended amount when dining out but I don't like it much. Most waitstaff are average at best; and that's ok because it's just a job not a calling. So just include this overhead in the price. But tonight I included a generous amount because service at Bhojan was impeccable. The two young servers were solicitous and prompt without being intrusive. Remember that picky eater? Changing tables, custom orders, and so on. All problems were handled with aplomb.

No comments: