Sunday, November 2, 2014

Forget It Jake, It's Chinatown

On Saturday, I thought about trying a restaurant in the East end on Queen St. I never made it there but I did end up in Chinatown East. This smaller enclave was less busy than the main one on Spadina and lacked the ubiquitous T-shirt shops. It has also seen some gentrification with a bakery/cafe or two. There were a few sufficiently stocked grocery stores for me to make a few purchases.

I stopped by Rose Cafe. This small Vietnamese sandwich is the perennial go-to spot in any cheap eats article. It was identical to most of these places including Nguyen Huong downtown and Le's Sandwich in the west end: subs, dried goods, and various Vietnamese snacks. Unlike the "high end" banh mi making their ways into mainstream restaurants, the ones here remain modestly priced. In addition to some glutinous rice-based desserts ($1.50/each), I got a shredded chicken sub for $2.50.

Heading East, I noticed a Vietnamese restaurant (Que Linh) just off Gerrard on Boulton. It had a cozy look, being located in a re-zoned house. Could this be a hidden gem? First signs were good: a bunch of cramped tables in a small space, and all occupied; the menu was small; and the prices were cheap. $5 for a small pho? I haven't seen prices like this in years. Also a first: a waitress taking my order instead of me writing it down. I got a plate of pork rice crepes ($5) and a large pho ($6).

The food was good but not excellent. The rolls were thin and nicely soaked up the fish sauce. But the lettuce side was sad; it should be diced cucumbers and a plethora of fresh herbs. The pho noodles and broth were tasty on a cold day. The beef cuts were too thick though and there weren't enough greens. A gem perhaps, but not a diamond. I would visit this place if I was in the neighbourhood.

No comments: