Sunday, March 27, 2022

Thrill of the Grill

This Riverdale neighbourhood doesn't have too many cheap eats for lunch. The banh mi was a bit too sweet and the pizza a slight let-down. Thursday for dinner, I headed over to Lahore Grill at Greenwood and Gerrard. Either the indoor lighting could be brighter or the windows could use a cleaning but it was hard to tell if it was open. But I saw a customer sitting at the counter so I stepped inside.

Given the cheap prices on the menu by the door, I wasn't surprised to see a display of prepared food trays. Also, they didn't have an enclosed and ventilated kitchen. Which is to say everything smelled good but it will get into your clothes pretty quick. The mixed veggie curry was still cooking but an intriguing-sounding pumpkin curry ($12) was ready to go.

I thought they were simply going to microwave some frozen naans but was pleasantly surprised that there was a tandoori oven and mine were made fresh right in front of me. I brought my take-out home and found it to be delicious. The curry was a bit oily but fragrant and tasty. The naan was soft with a nice chew. With salad, 2 large naans, and a good amount of curry, there was enough for 2 meals. So Lahore Grill was a good cheap eats. Too bad it's only open in the evening otherwise I'd visit for lunch. But eating curry in a park could get messy.

No comments: