Thursday, March 24, 2022

Robin Ate No Egg

I used to take a break from remote work to get takeout for lunch. It wasn't possible in Ottawa but it should be better in Toronto. Alas, there weren't many cheap choices in Riverdale. But it was a bright Monday morning, so I went to grab something quick to eat for lunch at Greenwood Park. I found a small vegan shop called Jinglepear Deli at the corner of Greenwood and Gerrard.

I opted for a full breakfast ($11.99) comprising of tofu eggs and bacon, collard greens, hash browns, and a small fruit cup. It was nice to sit in the sunshine to have a meal. The eggs were better than Hogtown Vegan and the potatoes could be crispier. But the bacon was excellent: salty with a nice crunch. I probably won't order this again but I would certainly return to get that bacon a la carte.

The park was too muddy to walk through. It was extensive with facilities including 2 baseball diamonds, an outdoor rink, a pool, and a kids' playground. I prefer more trees providing shade like Dufferin Grove instead of being merely at the periphery. But it looked like a pleasant space for the neighbourhood.

As for Jinglepear, the business was more on the insistent side of veganism. The "no fur allowed" notice on the door was unexpected but acceptable. But I gave a side-eyed to a poster (with a link to a website) "showing" that all pandemics were caused by eating animals. That seemed to be bad or cherry-picked science and likely include a splash of white supremacy/racism and conspirituality.

No comments: