Tuesday, December 12, 2023

It Is Thee Modern Danforth

I'm not sure how Atto Sushi came to my attention in 2021. Probably via a pandemic post about supporting local businesses in my Insta feed. I do remember looking for it during my bike ride along the Danforth. I gave up at Coxwell and went south to the Beaches to eat at the Georgian restaurant Tiflisi. But it turns out this sushi spot was further along past Woodbine station.

But since my rental at Coxwell was within walking distance, I finally visited Atto on Friday for dinner. Along the way, I observed changes to the street in the last 5 years. This far East, Danforth wasn't the trendy Greektown of Broadview and Pape. Still, there were plenty of new stores with a few remaining stalwarts like fruit markets, shoe repairs, and car mechanics. The recent businesses weren't all trendy restaurants but included a wide selection of shops such as hair salons, hobbies and crafts stores, and several vintage shops. Even a niche place that specialized in fingerboards (tiny skateboards) was opened.

Atto Sushi was a small restaurant with just 3 tables. It was at the edge of the gentrifying area as its neighbours were all car dealerships. After looking over the menu, I chose an edamame appetizer ($5) and a combo called Atto's Nine ($18). Although the prices were only slightly more expensive than a cheap sushi place, everything was made with care. First came a large portion of plump, nicely salted edamame. Next was the salad with arugula for variety and a miso soup that contained thick seaweed slices and firm, toothsome tofu. Finally, the nigiri was a lovely main: flavourful fish, some nice toppings like shiso leaf, and loosely packed sushi rice. The chef gave me a complimentary "sushi taco" that had a nice textural contrast. All in all, this was a local gem.

No comments: