Friday, August 6, 2021

No Can Go

For the last few Sundays I have been back at a Yoga studio. I now prefer my self-practice that allows me to concentrate on each pose. But there is an energy to a live, fast-paced class that has its own allure. So even though my tights don't fit so well after more than a year at home, I've been heading Ossington and Queen for the workout.

I was looking for a restaurant for a post-session lunch but the patios on Ossington seemed too chi-chi for my sweaty clothes. Then I remembered that a new sushi joint has opened on College. I guess Siri, which had pretty good Thai, could not survive long-term having opened during a pandemic. I did enjoy their vegan drunken noodle (Pad Kee Mao) on a semi-regularly basis.

The extensive menu in the window of Cango Sushi didn't inspire much confidence. It's the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach of a lower-end business. In any case, I settled on the "tuna combo" ($13.95). After lamenting at all the take-out containers (8 separate pieces!), I looked over the spread and noticed an extra order of yam sushi. Perhaps these were bonuses during first few weeks of opening? The pieces were large with lots of filling and more substantial than Kobi Sushi (which has been doing much brisker business than its predecessor Gobo Sushi) down the block. This lunch set was looking good.

Things started out well with the salad and miso soup. But the sushi was a major let-down. I wasn't expecting quality fish but these tuna were flavourless. The spicy tuna maki was perhaps the blandest version I've ever tasted. The nigiri wasn't much better and the hand-roll was a losing fight. But even average sushi can be saved by good rice (and excellent sushi must have good rice). Sadly, these were sticky, clumpy, and lacked that delicate vinegar tang. I don't remember struggling to finish a sushi meal like today.

I will say that the Yam maki was the best of the bunch. Given its size and price ($3.95), the good selection of veggie maki (from $3.95 to $6.50) at Cango is probably worth a second look if you're into vegetarian sushi.

No comments: