Monday, November 16, 2015

Three Speed

I felt groggy Saturday night from a lack a sleep. But I'm glad I was able to drag myself to Handlebar that night. The 3 bands that played tonight showcased different styles of pop in excellent performances. Opener Kelly McMichael (Rouge, KM and the Gloss) played a solo set from her new venture as Renders. Though she included a few old songs from her other bands which were more indie, her new music was chill and relaxing in keeping with her self-described "stoner pop". The first single I Am Gone is perfect for radio play.

Coronado turned it up several notches. Their songs from their 3 self-released EPs are synth-pop creations meant to get your butt moving. From A Line We Never Drew, Paralysis, and Lighter Than Air (plus several songs so new they were untitled),  this was fun music full of 3-part vocal harmonies, wah-wah guitar, funky bass, and lots of spacey synth.

The night ended with Paradise Animals. It was the release party for their first full-length album. They calmed things down with dark pop (Monday Morning, Tripping on The Rails). The deep, laconic vocals reminded me of 80s pop like The Cure. So appropriate enough, they covered A Flock of Seagulls' I Ran (So Far Away).

No comments: