Monday, November 9, 2015

Double A

I've been rewarding myself with pizza after my Sunday's vigorous workout classes. But this Sunday, I decided to try a different pizza joint than my usual. So I headed over to the small diner A3 Napoli on College St., which aims to bring Italian street food to Toronto. Looking over the menu, I noticed a lot of fried stuff. They also have a stone oven for their regular pizza. So I opted for 2 kinds of pizza styles: a Neapolitan Margherita ($8) and a small Montanara ($4).

The first came out hot and gooey, dripping with tomato sauce and cheese. The ingredients were tasty and rich. However, this wasn't in the top echelon of Toronto's offerings. It lacked that crispy (and crackling) crust and did not emit that wonderful baked dough smell. The Montanara had similar toppings: cheese, tomato, basil. But the crust was fried. It was a lot of dough if you are avoiding carbs. But it had a very intriguing texture and fragrance. Surprisingly, it wasn't too oily. This was a nice treat by itself, though perhaps a bit overkill accompanied by a regular pizza. Next time, I'll focus mostly on the fried stuff from here.

No comments: