Saturday, November 7, 2015

Lunchable

I was in the Beverley and Dundas St. W neighbourhood around noon to grab some last-minute opera tickets, so I dropped by cheap Japanese diner Manpuku. Luckily, I just got before the lunchtime rush. Many OCAD students and other workers have discovered this little gem, though the surrounding food court has most of the traffic. This is always a bit weird because the food here is just as cheap and tastier.

It's been a year and I noticed that they have a few more dishes on the menu. I stuck with perennial favourite Tsukichi Udon ($5.49) but also went with the new Tofu Nugget ($3.99). I enjoyed the noodle soup with its mix of seaweed, fish cakes, and egg. The udon was a just a tad on the soft side, probably because the kitchen was rushing around fulfilling orders. The nuggets looked just like its fast-food counterpart (but vegan). With a crispy skin coated with slightly sweet sauce, you couldn't even really tell it was tofu. They were stuffed with various veggies. I thought the carrot one was a better fit than the asparagus.

No comments: