Saturday, August 6, 2022

Fancy Penne?

I traveled to Bloordale for lunch on Friday. There were several reasons including a bright but not muggy day. On my way to Monte Bianco (formerly a local bar) along Bloor St, I noticed that both Caravan and the ghost kitchen had "For Lease" signs. The food business was a tough gig.

This chef/owner of Bianco was realizing this, according to my friend who lived nearby. The African chef, who had worked throughout Europe, was finding that the Toronto crowd seemed less welcoming of new ventures. She thought that his skin colour didn't match the stereotype of who makes "good Italian food" and so discouraged some people. I was also leaning toward the difficulty of trying to unseat "Italian-American" family resto Sugo at Lansdowne.

The inside had pretty seating and decorations with multiple TVs overhead. There was a brunch menu with french toasts, burgers, and spaghetti dishes. This middle-ground reminded me of defunct Porta Nova steakhouse more than high-end Alma or trendy Burdock.

I stuck to the dinner menu and opted for the Bianco Salad ($13) and the Penne Alla Vodka ($16). The salad was well-oiled assortment of greens such as arugula, fennel and salad. It was light and refreshing except that the radicchio was a tad too bitter as large pieces. I liked the pasta as well, perfectly al dente with a good sauce.

The meal wasn't as magnificent as per my friend. But I've come to realize we have dissimilar tastes as she didn't think much of Afrobeat but enjoyed the supremely mediocre Sugo. Bianco offered better Italian fare than the latter if not quite at the level of an Enoteca Sociale. But Sugo was popular in the neighbourhood (and with online searches) and I don't see this restaurant out-competing it for regulars or new customers.

The other reasons for this trip were to visit 241 pizza and Pam's Roti to get a veggie slice and a veggie lunch special (I picked okra and cabbage this time). The special had increased from $5.99 to $7.99. But what can you do with recent increase in food prices? And it was still a good deal. However, I didn't receive the free pop that came with the meal.

I was happy to see a long-time worker there. She had disappeared for several months due to health reasons. Perhaps even permanently incapacitating, according to the owner. So it was nice that she was back even if I won't see her on a weekly schedule as when I lived in the area.

No comments: