Saturday, August 5, 2017

Three's No Charm

They say things come in three, good or bad. So following my bad experience at Southern Accent, my next two restaurant visits were also duds. My Sheppard lunch try-outs continued at Canton Kitchen in a plaza at Pharmacy Rd. Perhaps I had simply chosen a bad dish. But it was hard when there were more than 100 items on the menu. I picked the Beef and Egg Fried Noodle ($8.50). The presentation of this main and the complimentary soup was completely unappetizing. I've had chicken feet at dim sum, but to see a bloated version bobbing in broth was rather off-putting. The noodles were covered with a gloopy mess of egg and beef. It's hard to do Chinese wrong, but this place came close.

A few days later, I stopped for dinner at a new Italian-American eatery at Bloor and Lansdowne called Sugo. It was loud and cheerful, exuding a bit of a Jersey Shore vibe especially from the waitstaff and kitchen crew. I asked for the rigatoni ($9) and a side of meatballs ($7).  The side-dish was actually only 1 meatball, though it was fist-sized and sufficient for most people. The pasta was slathered in rosé sauce, so hot that you might burn your tongue. It was filling, but not much better than a can of sauce and some dried pasta from your supermarket. As it is not any cheaper than the superior Enoteca Sociale, Sugo won't replace Enoteca as my go-to pasta place.

No comments: