Saturday, August 12, 2017

Vamp It Down

I had planned on several outdoor shows on Friday including The Balconies at Taste of the Danforth. But a threatening sky, which eventually poured all night, meant that I only went to the early set at Roy Thomson Hall Patio. Tonight's featured singer was Elise LeGrow. With her dark bangs, she looked like a femme fatale from a detective movie. I was expecting throwback, stylized singing and I wasn't disappointed. It reminded me of a tougher, more cynical Tia Brazda, a local jazz singer who also harkened to yesteryear.

 Her set consisted of a number of original numbers and songs from her upcoming album Playing Chess, where she interprets classic music from Chess Records including her take on Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell. She was backed by a tight band with numerous sax and guitar solos. Somewhere between jazz, pop, and R'n'B, LeGrow brought some cool heat to a humid evening.

No comments: