Sunday, August 13, 2017

Himalayan Trek

On a tip that there was an eatery around King and Dufferin that sold Trini doubles, I headed to the area on Saturday for lunch. After walking all the way to Roncesvalles and then doubling back along Queen, I gave up on that quest. Although the stroll was nice, I haven't really spent much time in Parkdale in the last 10 years or so, I was getting famished. With all the Tibetan restaurants in the area, I settled on Tsampa.

Looking over their menu, I opted for the newari set ($8.99), which seems to be their take on a thali platter, and some butter tea ($1.50). It was a good thali, with curry flavoured potatoes and beef. The chickpeas (chana) was whole instead of the usual mush so that added some interesting texture. The most unusual was the beaten rice (poha). But however authentic that may be, and quite aesthetically pleasing to look at, it was like eating uncooked oatmeal flakes. It was more palatable when mixed with a bit of the curry. I think it would go better as a topping or cooked in a soup or stew, as is the case with some other dishes from that region.

No comments: