Saturday, August 13, 2022

In Between

During my last walk, I saw a few eateries among the blue-collar businesses. I returned on Thursday at lunchtime to check one out. I was also taking a closer look at the other buildings. There was a large mail depot which explains why I've seen Canada Post workers heading up Ray Ave on my morning jogs. Two enormous public transit facilities were located in the area: TTC's Mount Dennis bus garage and Metrolinx's Eglinton Storage and Maintenance for new Eglinton Crosstown light rail. Oddly, there were several churches inside nondescript industrial units.

Sandwich & Crepe on Industry Street seemed popular with the nearby workers. Bags of pre-ordered food were laid out for them to simply come in, find it by name, and skedaddled. The stainless steel counter and kitchen matched the vibe of area. Since there was no dine-in area post-Covid, I decided not to order any crepes. Instead I opted for 2 grilled cheese sandwich ($3.50/each). I had to quickly jog back to my friend's house before they got too soggy inside their paper wraps.

I enjoyed the gooey cheese and the toasted bread though it was getting a bit soft. But the tomatoes lacked any fragrance or juicy flavour. I suppose for the price the owners weren't going to buy fresh heirloom tomatoes.

No comments: