Thursday, August 4, 2022

Eats In The Time of Cholera

I was staying at friend in Toronto because an outbreak of Covid meant that a healthy but elderly relative needed my place in Ottawa while their family was in quarantine. Last time, I did not eat out because they insisted on home-cooked meals. But now they had last-minute renovations for their new business. So they were not only quite busy but eating at odd hours. This gave me the opportunity to try out some eateries in this working-class neighbourhood.

On Tuesday, I stopped off at York Burger and Pizza for dinner. It was a 1-year-old business offering the same cheap eats as the existing stores. I ordered a double-fish sandwich combo ($9.99) that came with fries and a drink. The sandwich was substantial and barely fit in my mouth. It was the sort of middling food that was expected of these places. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the fries. They were well salted and nicely crispy.

On Wednesday, I decided to get to-go portions from Mama Tofu, a Vietnamese vegan take-out I visited just before the pandemic. Heavy summer traffic has replaced winter wind and snow. But it was still a shorter trip this time round. I got several $6 items including pickled mustard greens, stir-fried bamboo, and tofu with lemon grass. I also picked up some $4 breakfast eats made from glutinous rice. That should be sufficient for a few meals until the predicted thunderstorm subside.

No comments: