Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Some Oldies, Some Goodies

Just a quick follow-up to a few new places that made it on my regular rotation. Firstly, I returned to the Thai restaurant Crystal Thani in Little Italy. Their lunchtime billboard clarified that the items in the seafood section were $14 for lunch. Fair enough since they regularly go between $18-20. But they have also dropped the lunch special by another dollar to $11 for all other dishes. This time, I had the Malaysian-style fried rice dish Nasi Goreng and it was definitely a good lunch.

Nasi Goreng
Murgh Khas Awadh
Likewise, Spice Indian Bistro still impresses. An independent confirmation: a co-worker took her meat-and-potatoes partner and her elderly mother and they had a great dinner. My own second visit was slightly disappointing only in the sense I chose the "wrong" dish despite chef Saha's warning. The Murgh Khas Awadh was tender chicken breast, lightly spiced, and stuffed with cottage cheese. It was wonderful but too delicate and mild on its own, and would best serve as a "side main": something to cleanse and reset the palate between rich dishes. White chicken and cream on white byriani rice and naan, I felt like a one-person dîner en blanc.

I'm not feeling the love for Mediterrania. It wasn't quite the make-me-a-pasta lunch, but I did get one portion of oven-baked pasta. There was hardly any cheese and the rigatoni fell apart. I was scooping up broken, soggy fragments from the take-out container. Also considering how much plastic is used from bowl, lid, fork, and bag, I felt like a rolling coal-er. I'm giving it one more chance with the homemade (grass-fed) beef lasagna. Then we'll see if it's better left in the past or not.

No comments: