Wednesday, February 19, 2020

You Want To Go Where Somebody Knows Your Name

It has been several days of blue sky and sunshine. The pleasant weather held for the holiday Monday so I was wandering through the neighbourhood of Bloordale and Bloorcourt along Bloor St. (no surprise). The businesses are a mix of old stalwarts and newer gentrified entries. Of course, not all are hipster haunts. The appearance of franchises like Starbucks at Gladstone is also a sign of a changing neighbourhood.

On the side streets, sometimes there are also businesses both old (Ontario Giant Runt Club) and new (Buco Café). I've wondered how much traffic they get. For one such business, Mediterrania at Bartlett, I've lately seen a sandwich board touting ready-to-eat food. With signage claiming organic food, I thought it might be a newcomer. But when I stepped inside, it turns out this family shop has been around since 1967. They downsized in 2017 and left their corner location to a pharmacy. Looking over older Google Street views, I realized I have passed by throughout the years. But I don't usually shop at small fruit markets.

For this shop, their business plan seemed to be a steady stream of regulars on a first name basis, a collection of mostly shelf-stable foodstuff (cured meat, cheese, pasta, etc.), and possibly extra rental income (since the proprietor owns the building).

I picked a veggie lasagna ($10.67) for lunch. At the urging of the owner, I accepted a bonus meatball. It was a good mix of spinach, mushroom, and ricotta. But I thought the pasta could be firmer. The Italian shop-keep agreed with me and said that he himself made the regular lasagna. He has been thinking of also cooking the veggie one as well. Given the tastiness of the meatball, I concur.

He also confided that regulars can call 15-minutes ahead and he'll put together a simple pasta plate, guaranteed to be "al dente". Well, I'm not there yet but I certainly hope to become one, too.

No comments: