Saturday, February 8, 2020

It's Not Clear

My go-to Thai place is I'mmm in Little Italy. But recent bad service placed it on my 6-month embargo so I have been looking for a replacement. For Friday lunch, I stopped in at the oddly named Crystal Thani (Authentic Thai & Bar) at College and Manning. For about 12 years, this was New Sushi Island, the first Asian restaurant in Little Italy. I used to take my friends from Ottawa here before they got "fancy" AYCE sushi. For the last 2 years, a succession of signs went up (Southern Cookout, Jaffna House) but nothing opened.

The inside of Crystal Thani looked oddly "unfinished". I think they've left standing room for evening revels, though I doubt the bar crowd would converge here at night. During the day, it was a bit forlorn and empty.

Their lunch special option was simple: everything on the menu cost $12. I wonder if that applies to the more expensive fish dishes. In any case, I saw a few interesting Malaysian dishes and picked the Malay mixed roti with veggies (regular $14).

When it came out, I was first nonplussed as I was expecting an entrée like Kottu Roti. But instead of chopped, the roti were bigger squares almost like seitan sheets. Since they were fried, they imparted a rich, smoky flavour that came through the thick curry. The latter was creamier than thai curries but didn't carry any Indian flavour; its closest cousin is likely the Thai massaman curry but without the tangy tamarind. It wasn't an outstanding dish but passable.

Despite the lackadaisical waitstaff (what personal services am I tipping for exactly?), the lunch price will likely lure me back to try a few more items.

No comments: