Monday, September 23, 2019

Sunday Lunch Day

I was meeting with a friend for some convo. Since their taste leaned toward Italian we met up at Terroni on Queen St. West. In the low-margin restaurant business, it is remarkable that this venerable group still has several locations in Toronto. But despite living here for decades I have yet to dine at Terroni.

This location certainly had the ambience: cozy and bustling. Looking over the menu, I picked Verde ($10) and a Margherita pizza ($16). I don't have much to say about the meal. It was inoffensive but left no impression: a basic salad and an average pie. The pizza was thin-crust, had a good chew, but lacked any outstanding character. This was comfortable, nostalgic food for regulars.

Only the conversation stood out for me. My friend, a dreamy soul, had apparently caught the financial investment bug. Now along with books of poetry and esoteric subjects, they peruse the Wall Street Journal with gusto. This may be related to their decision to consider early retirement; yet another person I know who could be in the middle of major life changes.

No comments: