Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Monday Munch

My summer course was filled with people looking to make big changes: more than half had quit their job. I guess something is in the air because the long-time instructor of my Monday yoga class announced she was leaving Toronto permanently and heading for Bali, India, and parts unknown.

I bid her adieu and found myself passing by Parka Food. Unlike the Mother Earth vegetarian restaurants of old, this spot belonged to the new generation of "plant-based" eateries like Virtuous Pie: all gleaming, shiny Scandinavian décor. Looking over the menu, I chose the sundried tomato mac and cheese ($7.90) and a coleslaw side ($2.50). Both dishes were delicious, the ingredients tasted rich and fresh. The only minor complaint was the vegan cheese; no acceptable substitute has been concocted that can replicate cheese's creaminess.

As I ate my dinner, I thought about whether I should make changes. As someone who likes routine, I'm definitely happiest with the easy rhythm of a settled life. But with question marks surrounding my employment, apartment, and physical health, things don't seem settled right now. See if my life naturally finds another equilibrium or shake things up and force a new state? I don't know. At least the meal was good.

No comments: