Thursday, September 19, 2019

Young and Fun

I usually attend fairly staid events at Lula Lounge, with diners clinking plates or glasses while watching a show. So it was quite enjoyable to attend a concert on Wednesday with the tables cleared away, and a packed crowd of young people there to socialize and dance. The indie crowd of 2019 is different from 10 years ago. If that 2010 group channeled understated 90s flannel grunge, then the new kids were all about big 90s pants and tops but cinched tight around the waist and mid-riff to show off enviable figures. There's also a lot more expressions of non-binary and queer identities.

Watching opener Katie McBride was a slightly disconcerting experience. First, she resembled an old friend from decades ago so I kept expecting her to recognize me. Second, with a voice that at times sounded like Sarah McLachlan, the noisy layers of sample and chill-pop made an interesting contrast.

At first, pianist and singer Louie Short reminded me of Gilbert O'Sullivan with quirky melody and lyrics. But if Short and his band sometimes switched mid-song into a bridge or verse of 70s balladry, their music was all about groovy bass, funky rhythms, and sweet falsetto singing. The crowd got into it big time and unlike other Toronto audiences, didn't need prompting to crowd the stage and dance with gusto.

Having been to another Jaunt show, I knew that the good vibes would continue. But my old bones needed my rest so I left the night to those young enough to not miss sleep.

No comments: