Monday, September 30, 2019

Into A Bar

After yoga on Sunday, I decided to try brunch at a new spot called 3 Monks and a Duck. Perhaps the name reflected the ratio of their 70% plant-based menu. Looking over their Asian-inspired food, I opted for the Korean Stuffed Pancake Pocket ($9.75) and a side-order of Fried Hash ($4.95). The hash was good, hot and not overly salted, though my palate couldn't really tell what the Korean chili seasoning was all about. The pancake was a Western take on the Yachae Hotteok, with egg, cheese, and bacon replacing the typical vegetable and noodle stuffing. I've only ever had the sweet kind up at Hodo Kwaja in the Annex. It was nicely pan-fried with a delicious dough. I skipped the bacon but I'm sure the saltiness would be great. The cheese added a nice gooey-ness but the egg didn't do much flavour-wise. The baby spinach and arugula salad gave some veggie crunch.

Overall, this small, hip bar with smiling buddhas sitting by the shot glasses and playable SNES games projected on the wall was a good visit. But with a small kitchen staff, the food can take a while to arrive depending on your luck. Mine took almost 30 minutes because a few tables had just ordered ahead of me. Meanwhile, the next set of customers arriving 20 minutes after myself got theirs a mere 10 minutes after ordering.

No comments: