Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Little Vittles

I have noticed a small restaurant in the new building at Queen St. W and Gladstone. On Tuesday, after a yoga class, I dropped by Lao-Thai for dinner. It was a tiny spot with only room for 4 tables. This might explain why it was mostly people dropping in to pick up their orders. And apparently busy too, because my first choice of crispy coconut rice salad (Nam Kao) was already sold out at 7:30 pm.

I opted for the Papaya salad ($8.50) and Chicken Laab ($12.50). The dishes were home cooking. That is, there wasn't much flair in the presentation, the flavours were good but not exceptional, and the portion size was generous. If I lived in the area, I'd probably make it a regular take-out spot.

Update: I came back for the Nam Kao. It was an interesting but disappointing dish. After talking to some Laotian friends, it seemed that perhaps the coconut flavour was too strong in this version. After a couple of bites, it was like eating a plate of coconut macaroons.

No comments: