Tuesday, August 7, 2018

A Tale of One City

On a holiday Monday, I was at both the North and South ends of Toronto. Since the line 1 subway has been extended further north, it was finally convenient for me to attend the Rogers Cup tennis tournament. I hopped off at the Pioneer Village stop and made my way to the tournament grounds. Outside of the main stadium, they had set up several courts and also had plenty of other activities. As this was only the early goings (of a lower-tiered tournament), I watched mostly low-ranked participants duking it out. Professional athletes are amazing. I could barely follow any of the shots. And to think that although these players could demolish any amateur, they would also be equally helpless against a top ten opponent.

With the outrageously pricey food and darkening clouds, I decided to leave early and head downtown. Luckily, after I made it to the station, the sky opened up in a torrential downpour. Line 1 took me all the way south to "condo central", all clustered near the gardiner express and the various sporting venues. These are dead zones because at ground level, there are hardly any business. I was meeting up with some out-of-towners at Mi-Ne Sushi. The owners did a good job making this spot seemed organic and cozy though they are housed in a condo with chain restaurants. The food presentation was also nice but unfortunately, this was strictly average sushi.

No comments: