Monday, August 20, 2018

French Toasty

A little french café and bakery, Les Moulins La Fayette, has opened at Queen St. W at Tecumseh near Bathurst. Looking through the window, we can see the usual baguettes and croissants. On Sunday, I dropped by for a quick meal after a yoga class.

There are two sets of glass display on either side of the cashier. The first had various savoury goods including croque-monsieurs. First time visitors may miss that past the cash register was also large selection of sweets such as tarts and mini-cakes. All were made on-site, according to the staff. Though everyone spoke English as expected in Toronto, a quick listen will confirmed that all employees were bilingual Francophones.

Today I opted for the veggie sandwich ($8). There wasn't any free tables in the narrow room nor in the peek-a-boo patio in the back, so I grabbed a seat by the wall. It was a tasty lunch, rich and creamy. Overall, the food and ambiance here were great.

Update: I came back to get some desserts for a trip to Ottawa and they were a big hit. But I will be taking a break from this bakery. The last time I was here I found a broken piece of plastic in my food. I pointed out this problem to the workers, merely as a courtesy, since I did not accidentally bite or swallow the fragment. But there was no inquiry if this had caused me any issue, nor any offer of reimbursement. This was poor customer service, but this café is a good spot. So I'm splitting the difference and doing a 1-year boycott.

No comments: