Saturday, April 23, 2016

Unmodded

Friday night, I was at the Mod Club for a radio-sponsored (102.2 The Edge) show. The nice thing is that these all-ages event end early. But it wasn't quite as fun as the last few live shows. Perhaps I was being primed by the sponsor banner, but both the opening and closing act felt like variations on Hedley. Not the kind of music that I love.

St. Andrews was punchier Hedley with a bit of Arcade Fire thrown in. Ivory Hours was funkier Hedley meeting a bit of pop. They do have a couple of songs that made good sing-alongs (Hello Honey, Mary, Sleep Alone). I liked them well enough although it was a cover, Feel by Bombay Bicycle Club, that got me grooving.

In contrast, middle act Lost Cousins had a fun set. Maybe I've been in the mood for groovy dancing lately but their music with the funky guitar, singer switching between falsetto and "manly", and even some set-the-mood sax solos was the highlight. They just recently moved here from Kingston so hopefully they'll play more local shows.

No comments: