Friday, April 29, 2016

Praise The Sun

I was in the Coxwell and Danforth area on Thursday. Unlike the hipper areas closer to the west side, this area still has some rough edges, although I see that there are trendier spots in the neighbourhood. I decided to eat dinner in a non-descript Mexican place called El Sol.

Its bland exterior hid, some might say a hidden beauty, certainly a keen exuberance. The interior was chock-a-block full of decorations: carved Fabergé-like eggs, religious artefacts (or at least tchotchkes), ancestral shrine, and hundreds of wooden suns. I opted for some tacos sonorenses ($14.95). The plate came out with soft beans, crunchy tacos, fragrant rice, and two soft tacos stuffed with chorizo and potatoes. It was home-cooked flavour, stick-to-your-ribs tastiness. Unlike other places, the chorizo wasn't overly salty. El Sol won't be mistaken for a place like Playa Cabana, but I liked its cheeriness.

No comments: