Thursday, April 21, 2016

Some Kind of Wonderful

I was at CBC main office at Front and John for a "First Play" session. Amazingly, this was the 3rd show I've attended where I was blown away by the infectiousness and fun of the music. This time around, it was courtesy of Tanika Charles (and her Wonderfuls). I've heard her singing classic Motown with Big Sound and even some of her own music, usually with a small set-up. The one time I saw her play with a fuller band, it was a great night.

This evening topped it all. With an album's worth of new material (Two Step, Soul Run) plus some oldies off her EP (I Am Your Woman, Parkdale), the backing of a full band, and beautiful sound in a professional studio, it was Ms. Charles night to shine. Channelling soul, funk, sexy R&B, and even some raucous rock, her music had me grinning and dancing for the whole set. 30 years ago, she would be a bona fide break-out star. Nowadays, with the fragmented state of the music industry, I hope some good stroke of fortune vaults her into mainstream recognition.

No comments: