Sunday, April 17, 2016

Some Reservations

On Saturday, I was at Ryoji for dinner.  There was cold Mimiga pork ears ($6), fresh Shima tofu ($8), Takoyaki ($7), Nanban fried chicken ($13), Hamachi carpaccio ($13), and a bowl of Tonkotsu ramen ($11). It's a nice venue with the big light globes. The food, as on previous occasions, were about average. Good to eat but nothing truly outstanding.

What stuck out for me was the distasteful attempts to steer people toward less desirable seatings by claiming that other tables were reserved. I was ready to leave before they gave me a good seat, despite the fact that the restaurant was only a quarter full. This happened throughout the night, as "reserved" tables were conveniently freed up if patrons refused the first choice offered. Maybe this is standard restaurant operation, but it made me less likely to want to return any time soon.

No comments: