Saturday, December 7, 2013

Don't Get In My Belly

The ubiquity of Mexican food in Toronto really started with all the local burrito franchises that opened in the last several years. Feeling a bit peckish from the small portions at charity event ProjectUpliftPH, I headed over to Fat Bastard Burrito for a bite. With selections like butter chicken, this was multi-culti burritos. But I opted for the traditional pulled pork ($7.99). Like all these joints, after a base of beans and rice (said no to the vermicelli noodles), you can add more toppings like salsa, onions, etc. I got the works plus the hot option which meant 4 squirts of hot sauce.

The burrito came out fragrant from the grill, bulging and certainly filling. Yet with all those ingredients, it was oddly bland. I wouldn't even have known there was pork if I had ordered it myself. This was certainly not the first mediocre burrito I've had lately (and from different franchises). Toronto needs a good burrito joint to set the bar, similar to all the gourmet taco places that have sprung up.

Edit: What was I thinking? Long-time New York Subway near Queen and Bathurst has long provided excellent burrito. But they take their time making orders so you can't be in a rush.

No comments: