Saturday, October 23, 2021

Curse of the Munchies

The stretch of Little Italy between Grace and Clinton has hosted several street food restaurants. But whether it was the tasty Moroccan vendor B'saha or the inedible Masalawala, none lasted long. The latter was recently replaced with Tut's. This seems to be a second location from the original on King St. It certainly tempted me more than the recent Nile River on the North side so I stepped inside on Friday for lunch.

I was nonplussed by the Asian staff but I recalled that even stalwart Portuguese Chicken Guy (a recent English renaming) has now hired Asian and non-Portuguese workers. Looking over the menu, it was clear that the combos were a better deal than a la carte. I opted for the smaller one ($11.50) with 2 sandwiches, dukkah fries, and a drink. I chose meat options because the veggie selections had tahini sauce which I'm allergic to. Both sandwiches were excellent with the Ferakh containing grilled chicken (although it had stronger than usual aftertaste that reminded me of Egusi) and the Soguk having tender beef sausage. But care must be taken with the soft, Bao-like eish fino bread. A woman near me had her sandwich fall apart as she tried to extract it from the container. The fries were crispy with the dukkah spice adding fragrance and flavour. They were as delicious as my favourite style of fries: Indian masala fries.

Given the quality of food and the strong foot traffic from both drop-ins and delivery pick-ups during my visit, I think Tut's will last longer than previous attempts on this block.

No comments: