Monday, October 18, 2021

Local Zoning

Sometimes I promise myself to return to a business to try something else but stuff happens. But with things winding down, I did make it back to Frank's Pizza House on Sunday to try his calzone, especially since BlogTO (or at least Tanya Mok) recently considered it in the top 10. I have never visited the Corso Italia neighbourhood on a quiet day so it was surprising how empty it felt. Many Toronto areas do slow down by Sunday evening but with 6 lanes of traffic (4 for 2 cars and 2 for the TTC streetcars) on St. Clair, it seemed almost desolate compared to the cozier Little Italy along College St.

I ordered online a baked calzone ($9.95) with some toppings ($1-2/each): black olives, hot peppers, onions, and capers. I arrived just as I received a text message that my food was ready. Settling in on a park bench near Earlscourt Park, I was flabbergasted by its size. This was an excellent calzone: a crisp crust with a hint of salt filled with plenty of gooey cheese. The toppings added little bursts of flavour but I didn't detect any capers though. Also, I didn't really taste anything but dough and cheese until the last 25% of the calzone.

This was my (minor) problem with the meal. Perhaps a price of buck or two means that a proprietor simply can't afford to use that much ingredient. And the sloshy inside will likely settle at one end so you'll end up with uneven stuffing. If so, I would be happier if the calzone was smaller with a cheaper base price. That way, every bite will include the toppings.

No comments: