Saturday, July 31, 2021

Traditional Eastern Eurasian Fare

With the sudden passing of Mr. Siddique, I wasn't sure what would happen to Vena's Roti. When a sign went up announcing Uncle Sid's Deli, I was confused. Was this a customer-turned-restauranteur's tribute to his longevity in the neighbourhood or was his South Asian relatives making a pivot?

The new business finally opened this week. On Friday at lunch, I dropped by for my first visit. Yes, the people behind the counter were related to Mr. Siddique but I didn't find out much more than that. They had done a total renovation and the inside looked like a small deli complete with sodas, fancy chips, and jars of sauerkraut and other condiments. The menu was mostly deli-related although there was 1 tribute item: an Uncle Sid omelette. I opted for a corned beef combo ($14.95) with latkes instead of fries. With no dine-in option right now, I hoofed it to MacGregor Playground.

I haven't had a smoked meat sandwich in awhile and this one hit the spot: thin slices, fragrant with just a touch of fat, soft rye bread, and tangy pickle and cole slaw. The latkes resembled more hash browns than the tradition form. As such, although they retained the greasy deep-fried goodness, they lacked the crispy crunch of the latter.

Overall, this was a good replacement to the neighbourhood. Given its shift from immigrant businesses (and their "ethnic" food) to a more gentrified make-up (Brock Sandwich, Sugo, Bar Neon), a deli would fit in well with the new aesthetic.


No comments: