Monday, July 5, 2021

Not Here For A Good Thyme

Friday night, I wandered through several neighbourhoods along College St. The street patios were more numerous and larger than last year with folks out enjoying food and booze. But it didn't seem as full as expected. Then I realized that not only have patios been re-opened for a month while I was in Ottawa (no more initial giddy rush?) but with the extra-long holiday week-end, many people might have headed to cottage getaways.

On Saturday, I continued my roaming to the Junction Triangle area. It started out well, Donna's at Wallace has set up a large patio and the other businesses at that intersection were also bustling. When I reached Farmhouse Tavern from Edwin Ave., I heard the revelry before I even saw its patio.

But the walk Eastward along Dupont wasn't as fun. There were no curbside patios until I reached Defina and few pedestrians were on the street. It wasn't just about a quiet week-end though. The empty storefronts have increased even more than before including a few long-time businesses. Despite the presence of condos, both built and in construction, it was currently a rather desolate street. It might take years before this area becomes interesting enough to visit again. Those condos near Lansdowne don't seem quite as convenient and attractive any more.

I returned to the strip mall at Perth. After some debate, I opted to try Thai Lime instead of Koji Sushi. I got a sinking feeling when the server was South Asian. It's not that only people from a particular culture can cook its food. But often these immigrant-run businesses (like many Chinese-owned sushi places) are usually about jobs and have only basic competency in that cuisine. Nevertheless, I chose the Phad Puk Ruam mixed veggies ($14.99) and some jasmine rice ($1.99).

While waiting for my order, some women came in for the lunch special and had to pay extra. The first was due to the new prices (I dislike out-of-date menus) and the second was an extra charge for take-out. I was taken aback by that weird fee. Usually, you get a discount for take-out or pick-up, not the other way around. Also, we were currently in phase 2 re-opening with no indoor dining. How are you gonna be charging for that when there was no other choice?!

I took my food to Perth Square Park to have my lunch while watching little kids running through the little water fun zone. It had a button that would randomly spray water from various contraptions for a few minutes. This is a good water conservation idea. As for the food, it was an average main with a good mix of veggies. But it wasn't worth $20 though. On the other hand, maybe you're getting old when everything seems much more expensive than you remembered.

No comments: