Monday, July 12, 2021

Mai Oh Mai

I like some TallBoyz but have no opinions about other Tall Boys. The former does funny skits while the latter looks like your typical sports/craft bar. Not being a beer drinker, I haven't bother to scope out the place. I also like some pandemic era chef and ambivalent about others. Mostly because they are only available through Instagram and I'm not the type to DM for orders. So when I heard that one of them was doing a modern Vietnamese brunch on week-ends at Tall Boys, I decided to check her out. Although apparently she also cooks at Vit Beo, a tiny business I've walked by many times.

I made the mistake of skipping it for Mama Chef on Saturday. So although Sunday was grey and threatened rain, I came for some take-out. I ordered the Coffee French Toast ($9) and the Turnip Cake Omelet ($10). It did start to drizzle but I found shelter at a picnic table beneath some trees at the Irene Avenue Parkette. Ironically, on a subsequent visit, I found out that Tall Boys' patio backed directly onto this park.

I liked both dishes a lot. The toast had a creamy spread and was coated with mocha sauce and various crunchy toppings. But it was neither too sweet or heavy. The omelet with its scallions, soy glaze, chilies and cilantro was delicious and contemporary but displayed its traditional roots. The pieces of turnip cake added a nice combination of both chewiness and charring. The entrée reminded me of a combination of the popular snack bot chien and a Vietnamese frittata. A second visit to try the breakfast plate of eggs, tofu loaf, black bean hummus, and various pickled sides convinced me that these dishes were a welcome alternative to the usual Toronto brunch. She also does other collaborations like a banh mi pizza. Given how much I enjoy her food, I'd certainly give these experiments a try.

No comments: