Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Give-er

I didn't head back to Ottawa for the long week-end because that city was also in a modified lockdown because of recent outbreaks of COVID-19. Since the start of the pandemic, I haven't become unmoored like some folks. But I don't quite recall how the time passed over these few days.

I remembered visiting the fancy mid-town neighbourhood of Cedarvale on Saturday. That evening, I ate Yoshoku or Japanese-style Western food at COO. With no indoor dining, they were doing take-out but there was a two-table curbside patio at the entrance. I sat down for some Crab Cakes ($8.75) and Omu-rice ($18). The croquettes had yam stuffing which lent it some Thanksgiving flavour. This was my first Omu-rice, though I have seen videos showing the runny inside when you slice open the omelette. It was a good dish though later on, I didn't enjoy the demi-glace as much. It clashed with the fried rice for my palate.

I noticed the streets weren't bustling with cars, pedestrians, and cyclists. So not much people-watching during dinner. And the city seemed to empty out even more throughout the week-end. Perhaps people were clearing out, hunkering inside, or both. All the parked cars on my street have vanished. At some point on Sunday or Monday, I wandered Bloor St to the edge of High Park. There were a few closed businesses but not as many compared to other areas. The shops along Dundas St. W. leading to Lansdowne suffered a double whammy. A large section of the road was closed for major renovation. So it felt surreal walking along here, without city noise or human activity.

No comments: