Monday, October 5, 2020

By George, They've Got It

Wednesday night, I was scheduled to watch 2 online concerts. First up was Hannah Georgas live at Taurus Studios playing from her new album All That Emotion. Then Moscow Apartment was celebrating the 3-year anniversary of their debut EP at The Burdock. I supposed for the latter, given their youth, that would be a significant milestone. Unfortunately, with the recent surge in COVID cases in Toronto, they had to cancel their show. The small space couldn't safely accommodate a full band plus AV crew and staff.

Georgas has been on my radar as a local talent but I've only seen her in a guest role. My first experience of this artist will have to be through a screen. It was a better tech set-up than Molly Tuttle's show. Instead of delays and downgrade, the streaming site had a DVR feature. When I lost connectivity, I could still watch since it buffered and gave me a time-delayed view. But since I was only a few seconds behind, I simply skipped forward to the live stream. The cameras were also less busy but multi-camera selection would have been even better.

With a 3-piece band, Georgas' set was mostly mid-tempo folk/pop songs. Playing on piano/synth, and singing in a light, high voice, she reminded me of Lisa Conway (L Con). No song really resonated with me with this first listen. Georgas also didn't interact much with the audience either via camera or by reading the chat messages. So I wasn't sure if this was live or just a "premiere" of a pre-recorded show. So with the lethargic, hermetic feel to the set, I actually fell asleep and missed the last 15 minutes.

No comments: