Friday, September 25, 2020

The Bowl Is Fine

On Wednesday, I headed over to the Lansdowne and Bloor area for some pasta (that was not Sugo's). But I couldn't find Buon Appetito, despite it still having an online presence. At the location was a Korean restaurant called Roll & Bowl. Since Mazz Sushi was currently not serving lunch during the pandemic, this might make a good substitute. It was a cozy, charming place. They had repurposed old door-frames as barriers between tables.

The menu was typical of these Korean/Japanese hybrid restaurants. It skewed mostly to affordable sushi rolls with some Korean dishes including Bulgogi and Bibimbab. I chose the Roll and Assorted Tempura ($14.95). It came with japchae noodles and miso soup. The japchae was oily but tasty, though slightly over-salted. I thought there were two stand-outs compared to Mazz. First, the pickles brightened up the meal. Second, I thought the sushi rice was better: soft and holding together nicely. I will come back give it a second go but R&B looked promising as a regular spot.

No comments: