Friday, September 18, 2020

Has The Levee Run Dry?

On Sunday, I stopped off at Sweetie Pies Bakery at Harbord and Grace. Though they did have small pies for sale, I was full from lunch at Tondou Tsuken-Ramen. I opted for a chocolate chip cookie ($2.50) and a scoop of mint chip ice cream ($3.85). This corner had previously hosted malt shop Bean and Baker. In the aughts, it was the site of Linux Caffe complete with inflatable penguin mascot.

I enjoyed the ice cream more than the cookie. The latter was soft, chewy, and tasty. But I find these stores use too much sugar in their baked goods. If this was normalized for the typical taste bud, how much sugar was in the average person's diet? Being a warm, lazy day, I continued my walk up to Christie Pits Park.

Yes, I was back in Toronto. And everything felt familiar and welcoming: the curbside patios as I popped into Vena's for a roti Saturday night after my train ride, the slow brunch of Vegetarian ramen on Sunday. Throughout the week, I visited my regulars for lunch: West Indies from Pam's Roti, South Asian at Dosa Mahal, and Vietnamese from Galaxy T&T.

I have mentioned gentrification before. A neighbourhood with nice restaurants and stores feels cosmopolitan. But who can afford to eat at $80 bistros several times a week? Bloorcourt and Bloordale are the rare neighbourhoods that have a good mix of businesses. Yet even in these areas, the disappearance of local businesses including Chinese and Vietnamese eateries over the past decade signaled a gradual change.

Time may also have its way with these affordable, "mom-and-pop" shops. The average age of the owners was over 60. No one will replace them when they retire. A few years ago, unassuming diner China Ocean Restaurant near Dufferin and Bloor closed because the children weren't interested in taking over the business. Time to leave urban living to young folks? Because nobody wants to hear some crotchety windbag complain about "back in my day".

No comments: