Monday, September 21, 2020

One O'Clock on a Saturday

Over the last several years with online distractions I have spent less time reading. But during the pandemic, I rediscovered my love of the written word and have consumed a large amount of newspaper articles, long-form magazine essays, and novels. But it was entirely digital through my tablet. So on Saturday, I visit Bakka-Phoenix to buy some books and support a local business.

Before my browsing, I sat down next door at Piano Piano's sidewalk patio for lunch. After perusing the menu, I remembered why a friend and I had chosen other restaurants every time we met. This restaurant was on the pricey side even if it was less chi-chi than Yorkville or King West. Though I have eaten pizza these last two days, I couldn't resist ordering The Bitter ($22).

First, the idea of bitter toppings (kale, dandelion, garlic) was intriguing as I was a fan of astringent flavour. Second, I wanted to compare it against my recent visit to Vivoli since it had a 30% price premium over the latter. The toppings were good with the bitterness playing off the combination of lemon and chili. However, I think that other choices such as (sautée) rapini would be even better. The crust was excellent, blistered from the heat, fresh, and toothsome. There was a slight tanginess reminiscent of sourdough which went well with this particular pizza but I don't know if it would work with other toppings. Finally, whatever the difference between mozzarella and fior di latte (which is supposedly just mozzarella in Italian) it was immediately obvious. The cheese here at Piano punched up every bite.

This was a great lunch and Piano Piano had a definite leg up on Vivoli. But in general, there are just as good pizzas at cheaper price points. This is likely true for the pasta and mains, too.

No comments: