Sunday, September 20, 2020

Groove Is In The Heart

Friday, I went to the Kensington Market area. First, to visit the owner of Fresca. But we only had a 5-minute chat before the lunch crowd poured in. Some ordered their own pizza or pasta. But most were there to pick up a slice or two. No worries about stale pizza here. The minute a pie popped out of the oven, it was divvied up post haste. Remaining slices don't spend more than a few minutes in the display case before someone else snapped them up. As I waved goodbye, I realized these proprietors were only a few years from retirement, too. The era of the "Toronto pizza" may only be a blip.

Since a margherita slice wasn't a full lunch, I then headed to some new stores I had previously seen. Vegan Caribbean joint Veggie D'Light had put out more curbside tables. This small basement diner was mostly an open kitchen with just enough room to look at the menu and order. Though the sign suggested it was a "pick-your-protein, pick-your-base" set-up, the chef simply gave me a bit of everything for the large meal ($14.75).

After one bite, I knew it would be a delicious and filling affair. The curry beans were delicately flavoured with just enough heat for a slight tingle. The jerk seitan was moist, tasty, with a hint of sweetness. The combination of sauteed veggies (mostly cabbage), fresh greens, and brown rice made for a great balance. Some moringa bread slices changed up the texture and spice profile. This was a great discovery and I plan to come back to try other dishes including the dhalpuri roti.

No comments: